Ahhh, it’s here again. The holidays are approaching and for the next 6 weeks everyone seems to think they get a pass on making healthy food choices. THIS IS GOING TO BE THE HARSH REALITY! The average American gains 5-10 pounds, hence the “Seasonal Seven”. How cool would it feel to start January without extra weight or even 5 pounds down instead of up? Okay, I know, I’m an eternal optimist… But Doc…I totally screwed up on Thanksgiving! Ok, So What? You absolutely stuffed yourself, had no self-control and now what? How will guilt and ongoing poor choices make yourself feel better? Do you actually have another option? Or is someone forcing you to continue your self defeating behavior? Here’s an interesting factoid – your body can get it’s cravings under control in less than a day! Eating protein and fat will kill the carb cravings! Here’s some tips for the rest of the season:
1. What story do you tell yourself about your self control? What is your self talk about it? Do you think you can change that story? Doing the same thing expecting different results is called INSANITY! Start with becoming aware…
2. What if you take time THIS WEEKEND and prioritized your shopping, your schedule, your parties and family get-togethers and your food, so you could plan to bring healthy alternatives and decide to take control of what you can control?
3. When you go to a party and see the chip bowl, do you already know what they taste like? And do you know what will happen when you overeat? How does that feel? I know you’re saying – who cares it’s only one party…but is it? One ounce of chips has 158 calories, an 8 ounce bag is over 1200. A standard 5 ounce martini has 350 calories. Eat a healthy snack before the party.
4. Reducing your inhibitions around food – is that helpful? Instead of alcohol – Sparkling water with a splash of juice is a fun alternative and looks like you are partying!
5. How would it feel to make the healthy choices first? Like, Check out the veggie and meat trays first. Fill up on protein and veggies. Ask the host/hostess if you can bring the veggie tray.
6. How would it feel if you spent 10-15 extra minutes moving your body on the day of a party? 15 minutes of brisk walking can burn an extra 100 calories…
7. Eat normal on every other day…choose a healthy breakfast – 2 eggs and veggies, mid- morning snack – apple and peanut butter, lunch salad and 2-3 oz protein, mid-afternoon snack – hummus and raw peppers and dinner – protein and vegetables.
8. Want left-overs – no problem. You can have turkey all day long! Let’s celebrate by throwing out the mashed potatoes and stuffing! Find the green things in your refrigerator, not the moldy stuff, the vegetables!
9. There is a theme to healthy eating – Protein and veggies! Vegetarian protein options – 1/2 C Beans; tofu; veggie burger patties – just look at the carbs though! No more than 21 carbs per meal or 14 per snack.
You are the only one opening your mouth and allowing the food to come in… Which feels better? Victim or Winner? You CAN make it through the holidays without the extra tonnage!